In the heart of the Manistee forest with old logging trails, 6500 acres of hills, valleys, and secluded forest, Wolf Lake Ranch, originally known as Wolf Lake Station was built in 1890 as a wilderness depot. It served loggers who worked the pine forests between Baldwin and Traverse City. Tom and Mable Shook bought the three story boarding house - aka "Big House", railroad depot - aka "Branding Iron", and 35 acres in 1942 and created a guest ranch.
The ranch has come a long way over the years with changes being made to improve guest comfort. The old hay barn has been converted into a pavilion where cook-outs take place, games are played and dances are held. The "Mercantile" opened offering ranch wear and gift items. We now have a "veranda" added to the Big House, along with newer cabins, a hot tub, play ground and volleyball court. Spectator bleachers now border the rodeo corral and more recently, air conditioning has been added to each unit for guest comfort.
Pete with part of our 2012 staff
Some Things Change
And Some Things Never Change