Featured on RFD-TV's "Best of America By Horseback"
In the heart of the Manistee forest with old logging trails, 6500 acres of hills, valleys, and secluded forest, Wolf Lake Station was built in 1890 as a wilderness depot to serve loggers who lumbered the pine forests between Baldwin and Traverse City.
In 1942, Tom and Mable Shook bought the three story boarding house - aka "Big House", which stood next to Wolf Lake station - aka "Branding Iron", and 35 acres on Wolf Lake and named it Wolf Lake Ranch.
Over time the ranch changed hands, and in 1981 Pete Libby purchased it. Pete and the staff work hard to update and maintain guest comfort, yet retain the original beauty of the Ranch and North woods as it was years ago.
The "Big House" is the heart of the ranch. Outside the kitchen you will find "the bell" that is rung for meals and activities. The dining room is where most meals are served. The Mercantile located at the end of the dining room carries shirts, hats and jackets among other ranch related items. The upper floors of the house are living quarters for some of our staff.
Adjacent to the Big House is the Branding Iron "BI". It is located where train depot stood. The BI is a great gathering place for games, music and dancing, also for warming up on a chilly day.
A "howdy" from Wrangler Cody, as he heads off with an afternoon ride.